16 Must-Do Tips for a Healthy 2016
It’s a new year and another opportunity to commit to our health. Let’s do it right. Let’s do it holistically. I have overcome several health challenges over the years using these 16 Tips. They work. My recommendation is to try one tip at a time until it becomes a natural part of your daily routine. Then move to the next one. Remember that I am here to support your ultimate balance and bliss now. Detox, baby!
CREATE A MORNING ROUTINE
16. Drink room temperature lemon/lime water. Drink an 8 oz. glass of room temperature water with the fresh juice of 1/2 lemon or lime. Do this first thing in the morning. It helps to flush your liver and awaken the colon.
15. Use a Squatty Potty. Nature should be calling early in the morning. If it doesn’t, your lemon/lime water routine should help motivate the colon. How you sit on the toilet is important to your health, so use a Squatty Potty. Check out what Stanford University has to say about toilet posture.
14. Do oil pulling. Want healthy gums and naturally white teeth? Add oil pulling to your daily routine. It really works. Watch this Oil Pulling Video.
13. Stick out your tongue. Examine your tongue every day. It is a clear indicator of your health. A thick white coating could indicate a build up of toxins. Bite marks around the edges could mean that you should hydrate or need to improve your absorption. You can also look at the health of your organs and emotional state as well.
12. Protect your immunity. Apply nasaya oil to the inside of your nostrils and ears. Use this simple Ayurveda tip before leaving the house and especially when traveling on planes. Nasaya oil is one of my best selling products and of course I can custom build it according to your body type (dosha).
11. Drink a daily detox tea. This simple addition can help your body stoke its digestive fires, improve your digestive capacity and reduce the build up of undigested foods. Fresh ginger root is a good base. If you are a Vata, you might add cardamom and orange; if you are a Pitta, add a little fresh mint and lime and if you are a Kapha, add lemon and cinnamon. Don’t know your body type? Take the Know YourDosha Quiz here.
10. Self oleation. Internal and external oiling of the body is one of the Ayurvedic secrets for detoxification and anti aging. Oil your body before your daily exercise routine and create a gentle detox.
9. Do Pancha Karma. Pancha Karma means ‘5 Actions’ and it is the Ultimate detox. It is used as a curative and preventive approach to health. It is also the best anti-aging tool.
LIVE WELL NOW
8. Breathe well. Seems like a no brainer. Well, we all breathe, but do we do it consciously? Conscious breathing or breath control is known as pranayama. There are different breathing exercises for different conditions that range from helping to lower anxiety, stress and blood pressure; assist with weight loss and increase energy. Health is a breath away.
7. Exercise well. Exercise is often our number one New Year’s resolution but statistics show that after 5 weeks most people have already peaked. So how do you avoid becoming a statistic in 2016? Start slowly. Going from zero exercise to 7 days a week in the gym is too much. Ask yourself, ‘What can I do on a regular basis?’ If that is 2 days a week for 30 minutes, it’s a start. Schedule it and stick to it. According to a WSJ article it takes 66 days to form a habit. Day 1 starts now.
6. Eat Well. Eat clean, fresh foods. If you think that you cannot afford to eat healthy organic food, think again. Check out Thrive Market for a free trial membership. Eat foods for your body type. There are lots of good food and food trends out there but are they right for you? Make an appointment with me for an Ayurvedic consultation and let’s
find out what does your body good. Eat mindfully. Eat in a peaceful setting far away from cell phones, computers, TVs, work, or other distractions. (Confession: I am still working on this one.)
5. Sleep well. Benjamin Franklin was on to something when he said, “Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise.” Good restorative sleep is necessary for a long, healthy and happy life. I was an insomniac for over 30 years so I know sometimes sleep does not come easily. If you missed my blog, here are my 10 Tips to Beat Insomnia Tonight.
4. Get regular massages. Massage therapy is preventive healthcare. Massage is not about pampering yourself. Massage is not a special treat reserved for your birthday and anniversary. Massage therapy is medicine. As a Florida licensed massage therapist (LMT) for almost 20 years, I have seen and experienced the benefits of regular massages but don’t take my word for it. Check out this article on Massage As Medicine. Ok, I’m stepping down from my soap box now.
3. Essential oils. Essential oils are a beautiful and therapeutic part of my daily life. They are medicine in a bottle. Add essential oils to your routine. I retail an organic line of oils. And I love custom blending products for health and beauty. Think of me as your Aromatherapy Goddess. In 2016, look out for even more aromatherapy workshops and articles. Here is my blog post on Essential Oils for Spring Cleaning.
2. Hydrosols. A hydrosol is the water solution that comes from the extraction process of an essential oil. They are so versatile. I use them as a facial spritz or put them in my water to drink, for example. I found a local supplier and now retail some lovely hydrosols.
Drum roll, please…
Love Life, Love Yourself
1. Love Life. Today it is easy to be overwhelmed. We have a lot on our plate. It is therefore imperative that we enjoy our lives. As we make plans for 2016, make sure that you make time for your physical, mental, emotional and spiritual wellBEing. Consider what you most value. Then put it on your calendar. Schedule fun. Schedule adventure. Schedule quiet time. Schedule them on a daily, weekly, monthly basis and do not reserve them for a once a year vacation. Love life every single day. Love Yourself. You’ve heard ‘Work hard, play hard’ or ‘No pain, no gain’? Do you really want to live in a hard painful world? In 2016, be gentle with yourself. Try a little tenderness. Do not let the inner critic monopolize your thoughts about what you did not achieve in 2015. Nor should you allow it to diminish your accomplishments. Instead remember that every morning, life is gracious enough to give us another opportunity to choose. In 2016, practice the art of choosing well and choosing what is best for your ultimate balance and bliss. I am here to support you with that. We have 365 wonderful opportunities ahead of us. Let’s get started now. Happy New Year!